The project consists of the following three components:
Component 1 will support National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) in strengthening institutional capacity for social protection policy development and reforms.
The Component is coordinated by Expertise France (France) and it aims to achieve the following results:
• Under the leadership of the NDRC, coordination of policy making among government agencies in areas related to social protection reform is strengthened;
• The capacity of the NDRC in policy development and implementation, notably establishing and enforcing a national policy evaluation technique in the area of social protection, is enhanced;
• National policy framework for a full coverage of old-age insurance system throughout China is consolidated by strengthening the interface of various schemes, pension funding pooling, old-age insurance scheme for civil servants/the employee of public agencies and the existing multi-layer pension system;
• Reform efforts in response to urbanization trends, in particular the harmonization and integration of the various basic social protection systems for different groups of beneficiaries, the portability of social insurances and better suited assistance schemes.
These results will be achieved by addressing a number of topics including the following:
- √ Social insurance administration system reform;
√ National policy evaluation technique in the area of social protection (indicators, methods and programs);
√ Pension reform for public sector;
√ Evaluation of the combination of social pooling and individual accounts techniques in pension schemes for employees;
√ Multi-tiered design of pension systems (public pension, enterprise annuity and individual pension);
√ Vesting, indexation and adjustment mechanisms of pension benefit;
√ Ageing population and possible strategy of dealing with this situation;
√ Issues related to the informal sector integration in social security schemes;
√ Relationship between social-economic development and the redistribution function of social security;
√ Strategy of integrating social security system in urban and rural context also through the portability of social insurances;
√ Interaction between employment and social security policies;
√ Financial sustainability of pension schemes.
Component 2 will support Ministry of Finance (MoF) to enhance institutional capacity for financial management and supervision concerning social security funds.
The Component is coordinated by the Italian National Social Security Institute (INPS) and it aims to achieve the following results:
• The capacity of MoF financial management and supervision of central and local model of social security system and the extension of social security system coverage are enhanced, in particular in the fields of division of expenditure responsibilities, mid-terms budgeting of fund, and performance assessment model;
• Enhance the top level design ability in the basic pension insurance; establish actuarial analysis models for basic pension insurance reform;
• The capacity of the MoF in the management of social insurance funds, focusing on fiscal support budgeting, account system, investment techniques and adjustment mechanisms for pension benefits is strengthened.
These results will be achieved through the following topics:
- √ Division of decision power and expenditure responsibilities on social security between central and local government;
√ Social security coverage on informal employment: methodologies and tools of analysis and management;
√ Fiscal policies in support to social security, leverage among different financial sources and efficiency of fund use;
√ Mid-term budgeting of social security;
√ Models for evaluating effects of social security policy implementation;
√ Nominal personal account reform in the basic pension insurance system;
√ Models and Methodologies for the Social and Economic sustainability analysis in social protection system;
√ Methodologies and Actuarial Models for pension insurance;
√ Budgeting of social security expenditures and fund management;
√ Investment strategies of social funds and risk control methodologies;
√ Management of basic Pension Fund.
Component 3 will assist Ministry of Civil Affairs (MoCA) in the improvement of legal framework and policy enforcement for social assistance.
The Component is coordinated by the Ministry of Family, Labour and Social Policy (Poland) and it aims to achieve the following results:
- • The capacity of the MoCA for promulgating and enforcing the Social Assistance Law and the regulations on rural and urban minimum standards of living are strengthened; the skills of local officials in policy transmission and implementation are upgraded;
• The legal frameworks on a) formulation of unified standards for the estimation and calculation of social assistance benefits, b) recognition of social assistance target groups and c) identification of low-income families are consolidated;
• Efforts of the MoCA in improved care for poor rural people and disabled people are strengthened, and public information and transparency of social assistance policies are raised at provincial level.
These results will be achieved through the following topics;
- √ Legal framework on Social Assistance;
√ Governance framework for Social Assistance administration and management process;
√ Processes and activities of policy transmission and implementation carried out at central and local level of Social Assistance;
√ Monitoring and evaluation of Social Assistance schemes;
√ Experiences on unified standards for calculation of Social Assistance benefits;
√ Identification of Social Assistance target groups;
√ Overlapping and “cliff” effect management and policy framework;
√ Procedures and methods for requirement verification within Social Assistance system at central, local, urban and rural level;
√ Social Assistance specific vulnerable groups - services for children, elderly, people with disabilities, with a special focus on poor rural people;
√ Social Assistance services for poor people and families – service delivery approach;
√ Communication techniques and channels of public information on Social Assistance policy.